Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Dislike Being a Republican

It took me years to become a Republican. I've always been conservative in my views but I'd never been interested in being a part of a political party.

My interest in partisan politics started with the advent of cable TV in Milwaukee and watching the Iran Contra and the Judge Bork hearings. They still didn't sway me to join the party, but the arrogance of Democrat's running those hearings turned me further away from that party.

The tipping point came when I ran for the Assembly and had to make a decision between being a Democrat or a Republican. As I looked at the platforms for each party it wasn't a difficult choice - I am a republican.

But not everything about being a Republican is ice cream and warm apple pie.

I dislike being a Republican because of party in-fighting.  Every organization has people with different gifts and ideas on what is and isn't important. Even the Bible tells us in 1 Corinthians about the importance of every part of an organization when it says, "Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.” In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary.
The problem is when we refuse to acknowledge the importance of those with different gifts and views. Those with the power are pleased with the way things are and those out of power demand and work for change. 

Maybe we should talk some advice from Martin Luther, 
"In Essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, love"

I dislike being a Republican because of the top down mindset of some in the  organization rather than the bottom up viewpoint. Using the Bible as a reference again it teaches us that the best leader is the best servant. If more politicians and party leaders would take this wisdom to heart there would be a dynamic change not only in the Republican Party but in cities, counties, the state and our nation.

I dislike being a Republican when elected politicians stray from our core principles with an arrogance of them knowing better than years of history.  Respect of the Constitution and equality under the law, limited and effective government, individual freedom and opportunity for everyone should never ever take the backseat to any other views.  Our platform is not a suggestion box, it's the foundation for everything we stand for.

As much as it seems that I dislike being a Republican something I know for sure - I'd hate being a Democrat.

No comments: