Sunday, June 30, 2013

no comprendo

I've stayed away from mentioning the trial going on in Florida. But I have to mention an analysis I came across because I'm a bit mystified by it. A young girl testified last week and depending who you listen to she either did great for the defense or the prosecution.

I'm not interested in disecting her testimony, but one article which did has me scratching my head.

In her article titled Why Black People Understand Rachel Jeantel, Christina Coleman at the Global Grind said this,
But maybe the reason white people don't understand Rachel Jeantel has something more to do with white privilege then, what they would call, Rachel's capricious nature. Let's for one second try to understand why Rachel is "angry" (read emotional), "hood" (read blunt), and "unintelligent" (read multilingual).

I'm not interested in denigrating the young lady, but I saw some snippets of her testimony and I think trying to make the point that she's multilingual is a bit of a stretch.

Just saying as an old white guy.

No comments: