Sunday, February 24, 2013

Can you make up my mind please.

I sometimes, well actually often, go nuts when reading news articles.  The difficult aspect is not only reading what is written but also reading between the lines.  I do consider blogs news articles in case you're wondering.  They are often much easier to read because you know what team they're playing on and what the biases are.

In the online edition of the LaCrosse Tribune I started to read an article about Rep. Lee Nerison and his mixed emotions about Gov. Walker's budget.  Starting with the second paragraph I read this:
Rep. Lee Nerison, R-Westby, says he is pleased by the Republican governor’s emphasis on agriculture but wary of education cuts.

Walker’s budget proposed what amounts to a freeze on public education spending.
I want to know how someone can be "wary of education cuts" in a budget that "amounts to a freeze on public education spending".  Since when is a freeze a cut?

I'd like to know if this is what the Representative said or if the reporter just tossed in his confusing views.  Either way you'd think an editor would question the confusion the quoted part of the article raises, provided he read it.

No comments: