Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Integrity

I had the opportunity to attend the monthly Drinking Right tonight. I not only enjoy the group who attend as a whole, I enjoy the individuals there.  I probably listen more than talk, but that seems to be my modus operandi. lately.

I've been a bit quite on this blog also, a topic of discussion at the table I was sitting at. It was a consensus around the table that the right side of the blogosphere has been generally quite. The left side of the blogoshpere seems to still be a bit upset by their lack of success over the last year and half, so they are still buzzing about nothing.

One of the thoughts I've had lately is that of integrity.  I mean the type of look in the mirror and asking do I recognize that person looking back at me?  Would I trust him or her with the secrets of my soul?

Today or yesterday I was listening to a radio discussion about whether or not the citizens of Racine should pursue a recall of newly elected Sen. John Lehman. What I heard were people who stood vehemently against the recall of Gov. Scott Walker and Republican State Senators suggesting that a recall of Sen. Lehman was acceptable because he probably won via the fraud route.

I have a problem with that. If you're against recalls for a single vote a politician took or if the politician didn't commit a crime, then stand on those principles.  Don't sell your soul because you lost, justly or not.

3 comments:

redcarol57 said...

Well, I think this might be a case of comparing apples to oranges. I'm against recalls unless there is a case of breaking the law. Walker didn't break the law - he actually did exactly what he said he would during his campaign.

However, the election in Racine very likely involved voter fraud. There were issues of pre-signed voter registration forms and more.

So while I agree with you, I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing as a recall.

Deanna said...

I agree with you that people should stand by their convictions and that those who opposed the Walker recall should not be supporting a Lehman recall on the basis of likely voter fraud. Instead, we should be circulating petitions and causing a media frenzy over the GAB's poor decision-making record and apparent lack of common-sense procedures. The only reason that Lehman should be recalled at this point is over the idea that he represents a district that didn't elect him - that is a problem - but, again, I think the GAB is to blame for that mess, not Lehman.

yoSAMite said...

This can be seen as an apple/oranges thing. But to focus in on the view of recalls only, people should stand on their convictions.

The GOP should veraciously attack the problems in the Racine election. The fraud, if proven should be prosecuted. I hope the Republican led legislature will eliminate the GAB next session. In Racine I look for a huge fallout with some very damning information coming out soon.