Sunday, April 17, 2011

Power and Noise to the People

While watching the videos on the  Althouse blog, I got to wondering how State Senator Lena Taylor of the AWOL 14 fame would react if a group of protesters came to her "Education and Health Care in the Budget: A Milwaukee Town Hall Meeting" and acted the way her friends in Madison did on Saturday.

I imagine myself sitting in the sanctuary of Greater New Birth Church and ringing my mom's cowbell as each speaker tried to make their statements and inform the gathered crowd about their view of Gov. Walker's budget. Annoying those who came to listen Dr. Gregory Thornton, Sen. Taylor, Eric Gass, and Dr. Patricia McManus.

Well I'll tell you, it wouldn't happen. I believe that both sides should be able to express themselves and that screaming and making extraneous noise is not the way to show you care about issues. If I do go on Monday night, I'll be respectful yet discerning in what I hear and say.

In her press release Sen. Taylor mentions that some (presumably Republicans) are trying to stifle the voice of the people with hearings that went from 10am - 6pm, here are the meetings and times from the last JFC hearings when the democrats were in control.

JFC Hearings

The Joint Committee on Finance will be holding hearings around the state to hear your input on the budget. We encourage you to attend a meeting in your area! See the dates and locations below:
Sparta
Monday, March 23
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Milwaukee Metro
Wednesday, March 25
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Eau Claire
Friday, March 27
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Racine
Monday, March 30
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Appleton
Wednesday, April 1
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Cambridge
Friday, April 3
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

I'll call you on that one Sen. Taylor.  Time to come clean Sen. Taylor, I hope in your home church you won't be "stretching the truth".

1 comment:

Warren Bluhm said...

Agreed! The squeaky wheel may get the grease, but public debate is not won on the basis of who best shouts down the other argument.