Monday, March 7, 2011

Lena

One of the AWOL 14, the Wisconsin Democratic Senators who've fled the state in response or rebellion to losing the November 2010 elections is my State Senator Lena Taylor.  I was intrigued by the move to bolt the state and thought it made for good political showmanship.  I figured the Republicans would have some moves of their own to combat this, and they have though they seem to be moving cautiously which is some wisdom for them. 

Lena Taylor is not afraid to voice an opinion and I've never seen her pass up the opportunity to do so.  Well unless that is a constituent (me) contacts her concerning an issue.  Until recently that is. I saw that @sentaylor had a Twitter account so I've decided to follow her.

Here is a Twitter conversation between Sen. Taylor and a Blog-O-Buddy of mine Badger Blogger had the other day.  This is from the beginning of the conversation forward.

I commend Sen. Taylor for engaging people, but I do question an elected representative who claims to get joy out of pissing off a constituent
Is this the new norm for a legislator? 
Is this a new type of statesmanship that we can expect from now on? 
Is this the kind of person we want lecturing us on bargaining?

We should be able to disagree and to discuss issues without getting personal.  The legislators I have talked to over the past year have a sense of reverence for their position and I have never heard them ever talk like this about a fellow citizen of Wisconsin, much less a constituent.

The Bible tells us in Luke 12:48 "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."  I believe Senator Taylor may want to take these words to heart.

No comments: